John M. Wilson, farmer and stock raiser of Jefferson County, is a native of Abbeville County, S. C., born in 1818, and is the eldest of eight children born to Ephraim and Fannie (Link) Wilson, natives of South Carolina, where they were reared, and married about 1816. About 1820 they came to Jefferson County and were the first to settle on James Creek. After living there for about ten or twelve years they removed to McNairy County, Tenn., where they remained for about four years, and then returned to Jefferson County, Mo., where, with the exception of a few years spent in Arkansas, they made their home. The father was a farmer and mechanic, and was in good circumstances at the time of his death, which occurred in 1862. His father, John Wilson, was of Irish descent, and came to Jefferson County about 1820, where he died, after making several trips between Missouri and South Carolina.
Both parents of John M. were members of the Methodist Episcopal Church.
The subject of this sketch was reared at home and educated in the
primitive log schoolhouses of early times. In February, 1839, he was
united in marriage to Miss Adaline Graham, daughter of William and Margaret Graham, who were formerly of Tennessee, but pioneers of Jefferson
County. Immediately after marriage Mr. Wilson located twelve miles west
of Hillsboro, where he has lived for nearly fifty years. He has about
1,300 acres of choice land, and is one of the largest land holders of
Jefferson County. He has no children of his own, but has reared four
and partly reared others. He is taking considerable pains in improving
the stock of the community, especially cattle and horses of the Durhamn
and Norman breeds, respectively. In politics Mr. Wilson is a life long
and stanch Democrat, and has voted for every Democratic president since
attaining his majority. He and wife are members of the Missionary