John W. Tully, engineer on the Iron Mountain Railroad, with headquarters
at De Soto, is a native of Rome, N. Y., and was born January 15, 1851.
His father was Henry Tully, also a native of Rome, N. Y. John W. Tully
was reared and educated in his native place and before grown began work
on the railroad as brakeman on the Rome, Watertown & Ogdensburg Railroad.
In 1874 he went to Keokuk, Iowa, and for nine months was employed as
fireman on the Keokuk & Des Moines Railroad, and then went to Toledo, Ohio,
and was engaged as a brakeman in the yards of the Pittsburgh & Fort Wayne
Railroad two years, when he was promoted to yardmaster; he served in the
latter capacity two years, and in April, 1877, located in De Soto. He was
first employed as a brakeman on the Iron Mountain Railroad, and in 1878 was
given a position as conductor of a freight train. In 1880 he went to Fort
Worth, Texas, and for one year fired on the Texas & Pacific Railroad.
Returning to De Soto, he again worked as a fireman on the Iron Mountain Railroad, until November 23, 1886, when he was promoted to the position of
engineer. January 7, 1882, Mr. Tully was united in marriage with Minnie E.
Downing, who died March 26, 1885, leaving two children Flora and Maude.
Mrs. Tully was a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church. Mr. Tully is a
member of the A. O. U. W., and the Brotherhood of Locomotive Engineers.