Burrell S. Reppy, merchant of De Soto, was born in Washington County, Mo., in 1819, and is a son of Harry and Elizabeth Reppy, the former of whom, a native of Ireland, was born in 1772, and when sixteen years of age came to America. Upon arrival in this country Harry Reppy first settled in Tennessee, but about the year 1808 removed to the State of Missouri, and was one of the pioneer settlers of the southeastern part of the State. He worked in the mines in Washington County until his death, in 1827. He was the father of six children by his fourth wife, mother of Burrell S., who died in 1829. Of this family but four are living, viz.: Henry G., in California; Burrell S., at De Soto, Jefferson
County, Mo.; Hiram, at Valle Mines, Jefferson County, Mo.,; and James,
in San Francisco, Cal. His mother dying when Burrell S. was but eight
years of age, and his father surviving her but five years, he was taken
by one Charles Yates, with whom he lived until thirteen years old.
Running away from his guardian he went to St. Louis County and was taken
by a merchant at Manchester, where he remained for five years. At the
age of twenty he engaged in business for himself in Philadelphia, Marion
Co., Mo., whence in 1843, he removed to Galena, Ill., where he was engaged
in general merchandising for the following nine years. In 1852 he located
in La Crosse, Wis., and engaged in the same business. In 1840 he married
Miss Rebecca Bullock, who was born in Boone County, Ky., in 1820, and when
twelve years old came to Missouri with her parents, John C. and Mary
Bullock. Mr. and Mrs. Reppy have three children: Charles D., an editor of
Arizona; Henrietta, the widow of Nathaniel G. Day, of St. Louis; and George
F., a commercial traveler, of Denver, Colo. In November, 1861, Mr. Reppy
enlisted in Company B, Second Wisconsin Cavalry, Union army, and served
nearly three years; he served as second lieutenant and captain of his
company through Missouri, Arkansas, Mississippi, Louisiana and Tennessee,
and participated in the siege of Vicksburg, at which place he was discharged,
in the fall of 1864. He then returned home and in 1865 came to De Soto,
where for the following twenty two months he engaged in general merchandising.
Selling his mercantile stock, he turned his attention to the cultivation of
small fruits and vegetables, which occupation he followed for eighteen years.
He established his present business in 1883, and has since been selling goods.
Mr. Reppy is one of the oldest citizens of Southeastern Missouri, and is
highly esteemed. In politics a Republican, he served as justice of the peace
for eleven years. He is a member of the I. O. O. F. Mr. and Mrs. Reppy are
members of the Congregational Church, in which he has served as deacon for many years.