William T. Niccolls was born in Westmoreland County, Penn., February 26, 1842, and is a son of William T. Niccolls (deceased), also a native of Westmoreland County, Penn., and a farmer by occupation, who died in 1848. William T. Niccolls, Jr., was reared to the pursuit of farming, and educated in Elder's Ridge Academy, Indiana County, Penn. He enlisted
for service in the late war as a private in an independent company, known
as Gen. Anderson's Troop, where he served a portion of the time as body
guard, and was afterward transferred to the command of Sherman, then
served under Buell, and later, under Rosecrans. He participated in the
battles of Shiloh, Corinth, Antietam, Stone River and others, and was
discharged as captain of his company. In 1870 he removed to Emporia, Kas.,
and was engaged in farming until 1874, which he was compelled to abandon
on account of failing health, resulting from injuries received in the army.
He then (in 1875) engaged in mercantile business in Xenia, Ohio, dealing
in grain and agricultural implements, until 1877, when he assumned charge
of the railway station at Carlisle, on the C., H. & D. R. R. one year,
also carrying on his grain business. In 1878 he went to Ironton, Mo., and
the following year settled in De Soto, where he has since lived. The first
four years of his residence in Missouri he was assistant claim agent for
the Iron Mountain Railroad, and has since been contracting for railroad
supplies and dealing in lumber. December 25, 1867, he married Mary S.
Thomas, whose father (now deceased) was of Westmoreland County, Penn. They
have three children, Nellie, Samuel and Margaret. Mr. Niccolls is a member of the Knights of Honor, and the Society of Chosen Friends. Mr. and Mrs.
Niccolls are consistent members of the Presbyterian Church.