Thomas E. Moss, farmer and teacher of Rock Township, Jefferson Co., Mo., was born in the same in 1855, and is the eldest of five children born to James T. and Ella J. (Tevis) Moss. He was educated in the common schools and finished at De Soto at the age of nineteen. He then taught two years, and served as county collector under his father. During the winter of 1879 he made an extensive tour through Arkansas, Texas, etc., and then for about ten months was engaged in merchandising at Festus. In March, 1885, he was appointed county collector by Gov. Marmaduke to fill a vacancy, and held that office until March, 1887, to the general satisfaction of the public. Since then he has devoted his time and attention to farming, being the owner of 304 acres on Grand Glaize Creek, near his birthplace, and one of the successful, energetic and leading farmers and stock raisers of the county. Miss Caroline Reichmann,
daughter of Christian and Louisa Reichmann, became his wife in 1879, and
to this union were born four children: Ira L., Nora M., Roy W., and Eva.
Politically a Democrat, Mr. Moss cast his first vote for Tilden in 1876.
He is a descendant of the very first settlers of Jefferson County, and an
honest, upright citizen.