Daniel L. Jarvis, farmer and stock dealer of Jefferson County, Mo., was born in 1853, the eldest of seven children, four living, born to Thornton
and Mary Ann (Williams) Jarvis, whose history appears in another part of
this work. Daniel L. was educated in the common schools, and for six
months was a student in McKendree College, at Lebanon, Ill.; for about a
year was a disciple of Blackstone under Judge J.J. Williams and at the
same time assisted him as clerk of probate. He then engaged in the
mercantile business with Cornelius Marsden, but discontinued that business
after a period of eighteen months. He returned to farm life and in 1877
was married to Rosetta, daughter of William H. and Perlina Hensley. Mrs.
Jarvis was born in Jefferson County, and became the mother of four children:
Claude T., Norvill W., Edith and Daniel Orin. Soon after his marriage Mr.
Jarvis settled on a part of his father's old farm, and is now the owner of
500 acres, 260 acres of which were given him by his father; 340 acres are
under cultivation. He takes quite an interest in stock raising, and is
extensively engaged in raising cattle and horses. From 1877 to 1882 he
was notary public, and in connection with farming is running a general
merchandise store. On the establishment of a postoffice, where he resides,
the same was named "Jarvis" in his honor. Mr. Jarvis is a member of the
A. O. U. W, is a Democrat in politics, and an ardent advocate of the
temperance movement. His wife belongs to the Baptist Church. Rev. William
Hudson Hensley, father of Mrs. Jarvis, was born in the "Old Dominion," in
1820. When about six years old he came with his parents, Flemming and Jane (Milton) Hensley, to Jefferson County, Mo. He afterward resided ten years
in St. Louis County, but then returned to Jefferson County, where he has
since resided. He is a farmer, and preaches in Jefferson, Washington and
Franklin Counties. In 1842 he married A. P., daughter of Lucius and Jane
Hollinsbeck, who were natives of Vermont and Virginia, respectively. They
were married in Virginia, and came to Jefferson County, Mo., about 1838.
Of their thirteen children, five are living, all of whom are members of
the Baptist Church.