Jefferson County Historical Society

Home - Biographies Menu


William J. Haverstick was born in 1837, and is the fifth of nine children 
born to George W. D. and Barbary Ann (Shultz) Haverstick.  George W. D. 
was probably born in Pennsylvania in 1809, and when but a boy came with 
his father, Rudolf Haverstick, to Jefferson County, he being one of the 
first settlers in the vicinity of De Soto, where he made his first 
improvement, and in his first house were port-holes, as a protection 
against the Indians who were numerous there.  He was a tanner and
shoemaker, and at an early day kept tavern.  George W. D. was married 
at the age of nineteen, in Meramec Township, to the mother of the subject 
of this sketch.  She died March 23, 1862.  The same year Mr. Haverstick 
married Miss Catherine Medley, who bore him two children. He lived in 
various parts of Jefferson County until 1846, when he settled on what is 
known as Clover Fork of the Joachim; where he died April 24, 1871, a 
farmer, wagon maker and blacksmith by trade.  He could commence at the 
beginning and make a complete wagon, some of those taken to California 
by the "Forty-niners" being of his make. Both parents were for many years 
members of the Baptist Church and esteemed citizens.  They reared an 
industrious family, all living except the eldest sister, Elizabeth, wife 
of Muse Vinyard.  She died in 1887.  Those still living are Mrs. Susan 
Foxton, Mrs. Sarah Cook, Jacob, William J., Philip R., John W., Mrs. 
Martha C. Strickland and James Willis.  William J. was reared at home 
and obtained a common school education.  He was married in 1861 to 
Elizabeth R. Vinyard, daughter of Charles W. S. and Harriet Vinyard, 
natives of Virginia and Jefferson County, Mo., respectively.  To Mr. 
Haverstick and wife were born nine children: Martha Bell, now Mrs. Albert 
Wease; Harriet Ann, now Mrs. John Edgar Wease; George W., Charles W., 
Samuel T., Edward E., Rosalie A., Andrew J. and Daniel H.  Since his 
marriage Mr. Haverstick has lived on his present farm, situated two miles 
southeast of Victoria and which consists of 542 acres, and eighty acres 
on Big River.  He received eighty acres from his father, the remainder 
was made by his own efforts. He was second lieutenant of Capt. W. H. 
Washburn's company of militia during the war.  He is a Democrat in 
politics, is a member of the Masonic fraternity, and he and wife are 
members of the Baptist Church.