Hon. T. W. Guy, florist at Kimmswick, is a native of Cincinnati, Ohio, born in 1831, and was educated at Woodward College, Cincinnati, and Hanover College, Indiana. He also took a course at the Ohio Medical College at Cincinnati, but did not practice. He afterward went on a farm near Oxford, Ohio where he engaged in agricultural pursuits until 1864, at which date he removed to St. Louis County, Mo., and in 1865 came to Jefferson County, settling near Sulphur Springs, where he was engaged in fruit growing until 1872. He then removed to Kimmswick, where he has since been quite extensively engaged in the growing of flowers of nearly all kinds. His establishment is known as the "Montesano Greenhouse," and would compare favorably with a like
enterprise in almost any city. He was offered a position on Gen. M. S. Wade's staff during the war, but before the time for enlistment was taken down with the typhoid fever, and never afterward entered the service, but was only in the Ohio militia as a lieutenant. Previous to the war, in 1855, he married Miss Mollie M. Graves, of Hamilton County, Ohio, who bore him four children, only one living: Everett W., a florist of Belleville, Ill. Mrs. Guy died in 1879. In 1882 Mr. Guy was elected justice of the peace of Rock Township, and served for two years. In 1883 he married Miss Anna E., daughter of George and Anna Priester. Mr. Priester is a native of Germany, but came to the United States when but two years old. To the second marriage of Mr. Guy were born two children: Ada and Alexander. In 1882 he was elected justice of the peace, and in 1886 was elected to represent Jefferson County in the State Legislature. He is a Republican in politics, and cast his first vote for Gen. Scott in 1852; he and wife are members of the
Presbyterian Church. His father, Dr. Alexander Guy, was born in North Carolina in 1800, but in 1828 went to Ohio, where he married Miss Susan Wade, in 1830. He graduated in physics at the Ohio Medical College the same year of his marriage, and practiced very successfully for nearly forty years. He is still living at Oxford, Ohio, being one of the leading physicians of that place, and even yet is frequently consulted by many of the eminent physicians. He is of English descent, and a man of considerable means. His wife was born in Cincinnati, Ohio, in 1805 and died in 1850. Her father, David E. Wade, was a native of New Jersey,
and served through the Revolutionary War as a non-commissioned officer.
After his marriage he settled in Cincinnati, Ohio, in 1798, and here
passed the remainder of his life, dying in 1840. He was a tanner and
shoemaker by trade, and had the contract for and furnished Gen. St.
Clair's army with shoes during his warfare with the Indians. He established,
perhaps, the first tanyard ever started in Cincinnati, where he soon became
one of the city's wealthy and influential citizens. Mr. Guy's grandmother,
on his father's side, was a Rolfe, and a direct descendant of James Rolfe,
who married the celebrated Indian maiden, Pocahontas.