James F. Green is the present prosecuting attorney for Jefferson County,
and is a resident of Hillsboro, where he was born March 9th, 1856.  He
was the second of five sons and one daughter born to Abner and Mary 
(Chapman) Green, natives of Virginia, born in 1809 and 1825, respectively.  
The father received a fair education, and when a young man went to 
Kentucky, where he engaged in school teaching for a few years, and also 
at the same time, at leisure hours, studied law.  He then came to Palmyra, 
Marion Co., Mo., where he resumed the study of law under his brother, Hon. 
James S. Green, who served as United States senator, from Missouri, from 
1857 to 1861, and who was a brother of Gen. Martin Green, who fell at the 
siege of Vicksburg.  Abner came to Jefferson County about 1845, and entered 
upon the practice of his chosen profession at Hillsboro, where a long and 
successful career awaited him.  He was for several years county school 
commissioner; also held the office of county attorney, probate judge, etc., 
and was holding the office of prosecuting attorney at the time of his death, 
which occurred in 1876. He was frequently a delegate to the Congressional 
and State Convention as a Democrat of the old strict construction school.  
Although not a member of the church, he was a firm believer in the Christian 
religion, and contributed liberally to its support.  Mrs. Green is a member 
of the Presbyterian Church.  James F. was reared at home and educated in
the public schools of Jefferson County.  When about eighteen years of age he 
began the study of law in the office of his father.  Previous to this, at the 
age of sixteen, he received a clerkship in the recorder's office, where he 
remained for about three years, and was then for about one year deputy 
circuit clerk.  In January, 1878, he was licensed to practice at the Jefferson 
County bar, and soon after became a partner with Judge J. J. Williams, with 
whom he remained for a number of years. Since then he has engaged in the 
practice of his profession alone and has met with evident success.  In 1880 
he was elected prosecuting attorney, and is now serving his fourth consecutive 
term in that capacity. He is an active worker for the principles of the 
Democratic party, and on several occasions has served as a delegate to State 
conventions.  In 1883 he married Miss Essie, daughter of George and Harriet 
Tetley, of Ironton, Mo., where Mrs. Green was born.  To them were born two 
children.  Mrs. Green is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church.