Smith B. Fletcher, a native of Clermont County, Ohio, was born March 26, 1844 and is a son of John and Eliza (Buckingham) Fletcher, the former a native of Virginia; the latter died when he was but three years of age. Smith B. Fletcher was reared on a farm. During the late war he served as bugler in the Fifth Ohio Volunteer Cavalry, and participated in some of the hardest fought battles. After a short time of service, being discharged on account of disability, he engaged in railroading, and when but twenty one years old was employed
as a conductor on a passenger train running between Chillicothe and
Cincinnati. In 1867 he went to St. Louis, and for several years ran
passenger trains on the Missouri Pacific Railroad, removing to De Soto
in 1874, where he has since lived, with the exception of one year
subsequently spent in St. Louis. September 16, 1871 he married Miss
Eliza, daughter of Robert and Esther (Needham) Davidson. Mr. and Mrs.
Fletcher have two children: Claude and Paul. Mr. Fletcher is a
member of the A. O. U. W. and O. R. C. Mrs. Fletcher is a member of
the Episcopal Church. Mr. Fletcher owns several houses in De Soto,
also some business property in Sheldon, Ill.