William H. Farrar, M. D., of De Soto, is a native of Arcadia, Iron Co.,
Mo., and was born in 1856.  His father, Dr. George Farrar, is of Scotch
descent, and was born in Perry County, Mo., in 1839; he is also a physician
by profession, and is a graduate of Pope Medical College, St. Louis.  The 
latter moved to Iron County in 1854, and two years later entered upon the 
active practice of medicine, where he has since continued as one of the 
influential and prominent physicians of Iron County.  He married Harriet 
P. Russell, who was a colonel in the Revolutionary War.  To this union 
nine children were born, William H. being the third.  He received his 
literary education in Arcadia College, and at the age of seventeen began 
the study of medicine under the preceptorship of his father.  In 1872 he 
entered St. Louis Medical College, from which institution he graduated 
in March, 1874.  In 1876 he located at Valle's Mines, Jefferson County, 
and engaged in practice for two years, at the expiration of which time 
he came to De Soto, where he has since been located.  In the latter place 
he bought a drug store, which he successfully conducts in connection with 
his large and lucrative practice.  He enjoys the most extensive practice 
of any physician of Jefferson County, and with one exception is the oldest 
resident practitioner of De Soto.  In December, 1877, he married Miss 
Maggie A. Cole who was born in Jefferson County, Mo., in 1858.  They have 
one child, Gertrude May.  The Doctor is a democrat, politically, and a 
member of the A. O. U. W.