Thomas A. Charles, one of the substantial farmers of Joachim Township, is a native of St. Louis County, Mo., and is the eldest son of Robert and Elizabeth (Nickel) Charles, of English and German descent, who were among the early settlers of St. Louis. Mr. Charles received his education
in the common schools, and in the early part of his life gave his attention to railroad business, filling various positions on the Camden & Atlantic Railroad. June 4, 1872, he married Catherine (McCormick) West, a native of Jefferson County. Mr. Charles located on his present farm of 213 acres, in Joachim Township, near Pevely, in 1866, where he has since resided, devoting his attention to the pursuit of agriculture and dairying, shipping the products of the latter to St. Louis. He and wife are church members, he holding membership in the Presbyterian and she in the Methodist Episcopal Church South. In political preference he is a Democrat.