Henry Brady, who is another prosperous farmer of Central Township, was born in Columbiana County, Ohio, in 1815, and was left an orphan at the age of five. He then lived on a farm with his grandfather, Phillip Mann, who was of German descent, and who was a soldier under Napoleon. Henry Brady worked on farms in different places for his support until seventeen years of age, and received a very limited education. He then found a position on the "Post Boy," an Ohio River steamer, as a deck hand, where he remained for three years. From 1839 to 1846 he was on the Mississippi River and its branches, with headquarters at New Orleans. He then located at St. Louis until after the war. He followed
river life for thirty-five years, holding the positions of deckhand,
watch hand, pilot and captain. He served on transport for Gen. Grant
during the war until just before the fall of Vicksburg. In 1865 he moved
to Jefferson County, Mo., and located six miles north of Hillsboro, where
he has a fine farm of over 167 acres, 100 of which are under cultivation.
Previous to the war, in 1854, and while in St. Louis, he was married to
Mrs. Elizabeth M. Monroe, daughter of Charles and Huldah Williams, and a
native of Connecticut. Mr. Brady is a Democrat in politics, and his first
presidential vote was cast for Gen. Harrison, in 1840. Mrs. Brady united
with the Presbyterian Church, at New Haven, Conn., when young, and has
since lived a true, religious life.