William Brackmann, collector of Jefferson County, was born in St. Louis in 1850, and is the son of Gottlieb and Helena Brackmann, natives of Germany. While quite young the parents came to St. Louis, where they were married, remaining until December, 1853, when they removed to Jefferson County, locating one miles south of Dittmer's Store, where they lived for thirty years. They then sold out and purchased the Mattocks' Mill Farm, on Big River, where they still live. He served in the militia during the war. William was reared at home, with about sixteen months education in the public schools and a fair German education.
He then served an apprenticeship of two years at the carpenter's trade,
which he followed until 1876, after which he engaged in merchandising at
Dittmer's Store, and was postmaster for nine years. He then removed to
High Ridge, where he has a store, a saloon, hotel, etc.; is also
postmaster at High Ridge, and was justice of the peace for four years
while at Dittmer's Store. In 1886 he was elected collector of Jefferson
County. Previous to this, in 1874, he married Miss Ernestine, daughter
of John G. and Louisa Dahn, natives of Germany, and to this union were
born five children (four now living): Oscar, Ida, Huldah, Arthur
(deceased) and Edwin, the first three now being educated in the English
language. Mr. Brackmann is a Republican in politics, and cast his first
presidential vote for Gen. Grant, in 1872; is a member of the Masonic
fraternity, also a member of the A. O. U. W., was christened and confirmed
in the Protestant Church, to which he contributes liberally.