John A. Alderson, a native of Powhattan County, Va., was born October 22, 1825 and is a son of Wilkins Alderson, also a native of Powhattan County, who immigrated to St. Louis County, Mo., in the fall of 1836. John A. Alderson removed to Jefferson County, in 1838; the county was then very sparsely settled and wild animals and Indians found the dense forests suited for their shelter. Mr. Alderson was first engaged in hauling lead to St. Louis, a distance of fifty-five miles, and returning
with loads of goods and provisions. He has devoted the greater part of his time to farming, but has engaged in mining some during the winter season. He owns about 300 acres of land, which he devotes to farming and stock raising. October 17, 1847 he married Mary, daughter of Samuel B. Craig, an early settler of Washington County. Mrs. Alderson
died March 6, 1861 the mother of six children, of whom but two are living: William and Solomon. June 7, 1863 Mr. Alderson married Lucy Stevens, daughter of William Stevens, of Valle Township. Of the eight children born to this union seven survive, viz.: Emma, Amanda, Walter, Berkley, Susan, Edward and Ella.