Charles Emerson Owen

Born May 23, 1907 in Columbus, Franklin County, Ohio

Died Sep. 7, 1972 De Soto, Jefferson County, Missouri


Dr. Charles Emerson Owen "Doc", 65, osteopathic physician and surgeon in DeSoto for 30 years, passed away Thursday night, Sept. 7, 1972 at his home in DeSoto. He had been under treatment for a heart condition and suffered a heart attack last November, halting his active medical practice. He had tests in a Texas hospital by Dr. DeBakey, a renowned heart doctor and was showing improvement until pneumonia and complications developed during the summer. He had recently returned after several weeks in Mineral Area Osteopathic and St. John's Hospital.

Dr. Owen was born on May 23, 1907 in Columbus, Ohio to John Charles and Mary Elizabeth "Mayme" Herbert Owen. He was married to Miss Faye Adele Mayfield, of Sedgewickville, Missouri, on November 24, 1945 in the Fourth Street Methodist parsonage by Miss Mayfield's brother-in-law Rev. Liston Johnston. He is survived by two sons, Terry Wayne Owen and Robert David Owen, one daughter, Donna Sue (Tom) Patterson. He is also survived by a brother, Robert Owen of Ohio. He was preceded in death by his parents and one brother, Herbert Owen.

Dr. Owen's family moved to Granville, Ohio when he was 10 years old. He graduated from Granville High School in 1926, where he was known as "Doc". He was a star halfback on the football team for four years and also starred in basketball, track and baseball. For many years he was proprietor of a popular men's haberdashery, "The Drag", in Granville, Ohio. He attended Denison University in Granville and Ohio State University in Columbus before entering the Kirksville School of Osteopathy in Kirksville, Missouri. Upon graduation in 1942, Dr. Owen set up his medical practice in the upstairs quarters of Main and Boyd, in the Studyvin Building. In 1955 he moved his practice to the former DeSoto Press office on Second and Boyd where he continued until he retired. He was a founding doctor in opening Mineral Area Osteopathic Hospital in Farmington, Missouri.

As a DeSoto citizen, Dr. Owen spent much time and money helping young people. As a place for them to gather, he built and maintained Belle Acres Pool on Ware Road and developed a park and picnic grounds around it. Continuing his lifelong interest in sports and young people, Dr. Owen was team doctor for DeSoto High School teams, contributing his time and attending most games. He also served until his last year as team doctor for the Jefferson College Viking teams, also contributing his time. Dr. Owen was a member of Saint Andrews Methodist Church, a member of the DeSoto Rotary Club, being a charter member at the club's formation in 1943, and the Osteopathic Association, serving on many committees.

The Rev. Liston Johnston, former Methodist minister here, said of Dr. Owen: "I knew him for 29 years, first as a friend then as a pastor and brother-in-law. He was a devoted husband and father. He loved DeSoto and its people and they gave him an opportunity to serve. He gave his life in service, for "to serve is to live" was his motto for life. Dr. Owen made friends easily and because he helped many people in many ways, he leaves a multitude of friends who join his family in sorrow at his death."

Funeral services were held Sunday afternoon, September 10th, in a chapel of Mahn Funeral home. Officiating were the Rev. Boytt Willis, pastor of Saint Andrews Methodist Church, and the Rev. J. Edgar Isabell, former pastor. Burial was in Woodlawn Cemetery. Pallbearers were osteopathic physicians of the area.



His daughter states: He was an osteopathic physician and surgeon in De Soto for 30 years. His college work was at Denison University at Granville and Ohio State University, Columbus. He received his degree as doctor from Kirksville School of Osteopathy in 1942 and that is when he located to Desoto. His first offices were in upstairs quarters at Main and Boyd in the Studyvin Building. In 1955 he moved to his office at Second and Boyd (the K & P) building where he practiced until his death. He and six other area doctors joined in the founding of Mineral Area Osteopathic Hospital in Farmington, MO. It is now known as Mineral Area Regional Hospital. Dr. Owen was very active in Desoto's community. He was a charter member of the Desoto Rotary club which was formed in 1943. He was a life long member of St. Andrew's Methodist Church. He built a community pool, Bell Acres Park & Pool, because he felt the youth needed a place to go. He also started weekly "pool hops" there which were very popular. He loved sports and served as the team doctor for Desoto Dragons for many years. He also served as team doctor for the Jefferson College Vikings teams until he became ill. The Desoto Historical Society has just opened a display of his office.