John Paul Ingels
1936 Directory of the City of DeSoto, Jefferson Co., MO
Dr. J.P. Ingles, Osteopath, Tel. 24, 120 A. S. Main
Obituary Notice, Unknown newspaper clipping
Ingels, Dr. J.P.,
John Paul Ingels
(by George Keane)
The year 1933 was one of the worst of the Great
Depression. It was a hard time to launch
a career in any business, but Dr. J. Paul Ingels had to undertake that task.
Paul and Cecelia Barbee had married in 1929 and Paul enrolled in the Kirksville
College of Osteopathy and Surgery. Graduation in January 1933 forced the big
question “Where to go?” The talk among the students was that
Paul and Cecelia were raised in
In December Paul and Cecelia had their first child. Dr.
Elders delivered and Mrs. Herrin was the nurse. The practice continued to grow.
The family lived on
By December, 1935 a second
daughter was born with Dr. Pierce as the assistant and Mrs. Soloman the nurse.
In 1938 the family moved to
Between 1941 and 1951 things changed fast. The
The doctor was very happy working in the new office and making house calls. By now he had specialized in delivering babies. In 1946 another daughter was born to them with Dr. Meehan again assisting.
The family was well established in a new home with four
daughters and a growing medical practice and enjoying life. The doctor also
served as a school director and president of the school board, was a Rotary
Club member and a member of Masonic Lodge 119. A friend related her earliest
recollections of Dr. Ingels. “He always attended morning worship at the
In October 1949 Dr. Ingels had a heart attack that prevented
him from working until June 1950. Slowly he returned to work but on
DR. J. P. INGELS DIES SUDDENLY AT HOME AUGUST 29.
Was Prominent in Civil and School Affairs Set up Practice in 1933
Services for Dr. J. P. Ingels, 45, prominent and successful citizen of DeSoto, were Saturday
afternoon, Sept. 1, at Mothershead Funeral Home, conducted by Dr. E. A. Forderhase, pastor
of First Baptist Church. Burial was in Woodlawn Park. Dr. Ingels died at his home, 307 South
Fourth, Wednesday evening August 29, after recurrence of a heart ailment. He suffered a
severe attack two years ago, but recovered remarkably and resumed his practice. Though not
feeling as well as in former years, he was not critically ill until a few hours before his
Surviving are Mrs. Ingels, their four daughters, Mary Jane, Carol Ann, Paula and Nancy, all
of the home; his mother, Mrs. Adela Ingels; one brother Arthur Ingels of Springfield, Ill., three sisters, Mrs. Harry Boone and Mrs. John Kirman, both of Springfield and Mrs. Otis Byers of Chatham, Ill. An osteopathic physician, Dr. Ingels had been practicing in DeSoto since 1933, a short time after completing college. For several years his office was in the Commercial Hotel building. In 1945 he constructed the building at 314 South Main which housed his office and that of Drs. T. Ben Tumbaugh and Victor Mueller.
Dr. Ingels took an active interest in civic affairs and participated as a school director, and a member of the Rotary Club. He was president of the school board three years ago. He was a member of the First Baptist Church. His membership in Masonic orders included Lodge 119, A.F.& A.M. Copestone Chapter No.33, Royal Arch Masons and the Knights Templar DeSoto, and Moolah Temple of the Shrine, St. Louis.
Dr. Ingels was born in Glenarm Ill., on March 19, 1906, the son of John and Adela Ingels. He completed high school in Illinois and attended Brown Business College in Springfield, Illinois, after which he was employed for two years at the First National Bank of Springfield. Later he attended Kirksville College of Osteopathy and Surgery. He first set up practice in Festus and a short time later moved to DeSoto.
He was married on June 1, 1929, to Miss Cecelia Barbee of Auburn, Ill. at Quincy. The site of the old Munroe Home on South Fourth St. erected by one of the city's leading businessmen of former years, became the location of the Ingels' residence about seven years ago. The large frame residence was remodeled by Dave Lewis into a modern house, and on its completion was purchased by Dr. and Mrs. Ingels. They continued with the development of the grounds, making the property one of the city's most attractive residences.
This obituary appeared in the Jefferson Republic newspaper of September 6, 1951, DeSoto, Missouri, and was written by owner and editor Lewis Roop.